Heating oil is one of the most efficient and safe home heating options. Ultra-Low Sulphur Diesel (ULSD) is one of the cleanest fuels you can use to power construction and farm equipment. However, like any source of energy, they can be hazardous if not handled and stored properly.
Some tips to keep in mind:
- Keep snow and ice from falling on or near your outdoor tanks, especially any exposed filters or oil lines.
- Do not let children play on or near fuel storage tanks or heating equipment.
- Keep flammable materials (papers, toys, clothing and other chemicals) away from your fuel burning appliances.
- Have your oil burning heating appliance serviced annually to keep it safe.
- Purchase and install smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors in your home (and know what to do before the detector sounds).
- Store heating oil or diesel only in approved containers.
- NEVER mix diesel or heating oil with gasoline.
- Do not smoke within five feet of a storage tank.
- If you see an oil leak, try and contain it and call Irving Energy at 1.888.310.1924.