With the drastic amount of snow accumulation across the region in recent days, we have had to adjust our driving, snow removal and even walking habits to accommodate high banks and reduced visibility. Please keep in mind some snow hazards specific to your home heating system.
Two of the biggest risks for your heating system related to snowfall and drifting snow are:
- Propane or oil leaks as a result of damaged fittings
- Carbon monoxide poisoning due to blocked vents
Here are some steps you can take to help ensure your safety:
- Before a snowstorm, mark the location of your storage tank, vent, and/or fill pipe so that it can be easily located.
- You should clear heavy snow and ice from regulators, regulator vents, piping, tubing and valves. Failure to do so can cause damage that could result in a gas or oil leak. Be careful when removing snow to avoid damage to the components.
- Appliance vents, chimneys and flues must also be kept clear of snow and ice so appliances can vent properly. Be careful when doing so to avoid damage to system components.
- After each snowfall or icy conditions, carefully clear snow and ice off the top of tanks, gauges, fittings, and lines. Using a broom to do so will help avoid damaging the tank or system components.
- Heavy icicles or large amounts of snow falling from the roof or eaves can be very damaging to a tank and system components. Watch for these hazards and safely remove them from above and around your tank, fill pipes, regulator, piping, tubing and valves being careful not to damage your system.
- Ensure you know how and where to shut off the outdoor propane supply and any indoor appliances in the event that a problem occurs.
- Be on the lookout for any signs of gas or oil leaks in and around your home.
- If you smell gas (propane or natural gas, where applicable) or suspect a leak, follow these important safety steps.
- If you smell oil or suspect a leak, call Irving Energy at 1.888.310.1924.
- If your tank has shifted position; gas or oil lines are bent, broken or damaged; or you see something else unusual about your system or appliance, turn off the main propane or oil supply valve on your storage tank, if it is safe to do so. Then call Irving Energy at 1.888.310.1924.